The General Assembly has adopted a resolution that calls for NHRIs to participate in the work of the Economic and Social Council.
GANHRI members elect new representatives of the Bureau
Carlos Ernesto Camargo Assis, Ombudsman of Colombia, was elected as Chairperson by GANHRI members through an online voting procedure that concluded on Friday 17th. This election follows the end of Freddy Carrión Intriago’s term as Ombudsman of Ecuador and as former Chairperson of GANHRI since October 2020.
Representing the Americas region, Mr Camargo will serve as GANHRI Chairperson until the March 2022 General Assembly.
The Extraordinary General Assembly (EGA) also elected Maryam Abdullah Al Attiyah, Chairperson of the National Human Rights Committee of Qatar, as new GANHRI Secretary. She has been appointed by the Asia-Pacific regional NHRI network (APF) on 14 December 2021.
Four new Bureau members designated by the African regional NHRI network (NANHRI) have also been ratified during the online EGA: Elasto Hilarious Mugwadi Evaristo, Regional Chairperson (NHRI Zimbabwe), Amina Bouayach (NHRI Morocco), Joseph Whittal (NHRI Ghana) and Mwamus Mwamba (NHRI Democratic Republic of Congo).
From our partners
- GANHRI contributed to the establishment of the new RINDHCA Regional Office in Panamà co-financed through the NHRI.EU.2 project and OHCHR. – Read here
- International Migration Review Forum is expected to take place from 10-13 May 2022. First Migration Dialogue will be held on 19 January. – Read here
- Human Rights Council, 49th session to be held virtually from 28 February–25 March 2022. – Read here
- Commission on the Status of Women, 66th session to be held from 14-25 March 2022. – Read here
- GANHRI 2020 Annual Report. – Read more
- Guidance for Field Protections Clusters on Engagement with National Human Rights Institutions. – Read more
- Women human rights defenders – who are they? Video produced by the The Danish Institute for Human Rights. – Read more
GANHRI-FUSE platform terminates on 31st December 2021
As of 31st December 2021, the knowledge sharing platform GANHRI-FUSE will cease to work. New platforms will replace it. You will receive more information and a notification on how to join the new platforms in the course of January 2022. We thank all NHRIs and other users for sharing their experiences and knowledge with their peers on Fuse and we look forward to increased interactions through the new platforms!