Working Group on Ageing and the Human Rights of Older Persons
GANHRI established the GANHRI Working Group on Ageing in 2012
- Support NHRI contribution to the UN Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWGA)
- Discuss measures for international cooperation for the protection and promotion of human rights of older persons and
- Foster GANHRI’s advocacy efforts for the extension of formal participation rights for NHRIs in the work of the OEWGA and international processes leading up to the consideration of a binding instrument on the rights of older persons.
The Working Group is composed of 8 GANHRI members; namely two members from each of the four GANHRI regional networks, and a representative of the GANHRI Chairperson designated by him or her, supported by the GANHRI HO.
- Peru – Defensoria del Pueblo
- El Salvador – Procuraduria para la Defensa de los Derechos Humanos
- Korea – National Human Rights Commission (Chair)
- Philippines – Commission on Human Rights
- Georgia – Public Defender’s Office
- Poland – Commissioner for Human Rights (Vice Chair)
- Kenya – National Commission on Human Rights
- Nigeria – National Human Rights Commission
- Egypt – National Council for Human Rights
On 14th December 2023, Members and Observers of GANHRI Working Group on Ageing and the Human Rights of Older Persons met online to share activities and good practices and discuss recent developments concerning the protection of human rights of older persons at the international level.
The meeting further addressed the GANHRI Bureau decision to develop a GANHRI position paper and advocacy tools to support all members in their work in strengthening the protection and promotion of the human rights of older persons. The position paper and advocacy tools will be developed in close consultation with all members.
OEWGA 13th Session 3-6 April 2023
Joint statement of 26 NHRIs: Read here
All statements can be found here
Engagagement with UN Mechanisms
- 52nd session of the UN Human Rights Council: WG statement to support the report of OHCHR and call for further cooperation of NHRIs, Civil society in moving further.
- 54th session UN Human Rights Council: Joint statement of 15 A status NHRIs to support the Independent Expert report on Older Persons (IE) and to call for an international legally binding convention. The WG also contributed to GANHRI statement https://ganhri.org/ganhri-statement-on-hr-of-older-persons-hrc54/
Statement by the Commission of Human Rights of the Philippines at the Open-ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWGA) in March 2021