GANHRI members adopted a series of significant amendments to the GANHRI Statute that will further enhance the rigour of the accreditation process.
At global meeting, national human rights institutions approve new strategic plan, expressing concern at pushbacks for universal human rights
More than 200 representatives from national human rights institutions (NHRIs), as well as from states, civil society, academia and partners including the UN Human Rights Office and UNDP met from 14-16 March in Geneva to participate in the 2023 GANHRI Annual Meeting.
The Annual Meeting included meetings of the GANHRI General Assembly and the GANHRI Bureau, meetings of the four NHRI regional networks, a Knowledge Exchange on NHRI experiences and good practices in addressing incidents of torture and ill-treatment, and the 2023 Annual Conference to mark the 30th anniversary of the adoption of the Paris Principles by the UN General Assembly and the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
At the Annual Conference close, participating GANHRI members adopted a powerful Statement in which they highlighted the significance of the UDHR, expressed concern at severe pushbacks on human right and resolved to strengthened cooperation with all actors to safeguard civic space and protect those defending human rights.
During the Bureau meeting and General Assembly GANHRI members adopted GANHRI’s new Strategic Plan for 2023-2027 and amendments to the GANHRI Statute aimed at enhancing the rigor of the accreditation process.
From our partners
- Asia-Pacific Forum – March 2023 Newsletter Read here
- European Network of NHRIs – Q1 2023 Newsletter Read here
- Network of African NHRIs – March 2023 Newsletter Read here
- Red de INDH del Continente Americano – News Read here
- 43rd session of UPR to be held from 1-12 May 2023 Read here
- Call for inputs: Enhancing climate change legislation, support for climate change litigation and advancement of the principle of intergeneration justice – Deadline 25 May Read here
- 53rd session of the Human Rights Council to be held from 19 June to 14 July 2023
- GANHRI Outcome statement – Annual Conference 2023 Read more