Reimagining conservation: integrating human rights in the development and implementation of the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
United Nations Environment Assembly side event
28 February, 13.15 to 14.45 (Nairobi time) I Online event
We are pleased to invite you to register online for this United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) side event which will take place online on 28 February 2022 from 13.15 to 14.45 (Nairobi time).
Building on the recent Human Rights Council recognition of the right to a clean, healthy and sustainable environment as a human right, this event will offer recommendations for a post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework that promotes rights-based action to protect biodiversity, including by safeguarding Indigenous Peoples’ rights and ways of life.
Center for Justice Governance and Environmental Action; CIEL; Conservation International; Costa Rica, Earthjustice; Forest Peoples Programme; GANHRI; Human Rights Watch; International Indian Treaty Council; IUCN Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy; Natural Justice; OHCHR; Peru; Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law; Slovenia; Swedbio; Sweden; UNDP; UNEP; Universal Rights Group; Women 4 biodiversity; WWF.
- Francisco Cali Tzay, UN Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples (by video message)
- Indigenous perspectives on reimagining conservation (by video message)
- Annika Strandhäll, Minister for Climate and the Environment of Sweden (by video message)
- Francis Ogwal, Post-2020 GBF co-chair
- Mrinalini Rai, Director, Women4Biodiversity
- Carlos Manuel Rodríguez, GEF CEO
- Josefa Tauli, Global Youth Biodiversity Network
- David Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur on human rights and the environment (by video message)
- Mariano Castro, Vice President and Vice-Minister of Environment of Peru