Peer Learning Event of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) in Preparation for COP28
23 November 2023, 12:00 – 13:30 CET – ONLINE ON ZOOM
The nexus between climate change and human rights has become increasingly evident, with the adverse effects of climate change posing significant risks to the realization of human rights worldwide. As we confront these challenges, it is imperative that institutions positioned at the crossroads of human rights and policy take proactive measures.
The Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI) Caucus on Human Rights and Climate Change has recognized this urgent need. To bolster the expertise and capacity of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) in addressing climate-related human rights challenges, GANHRI Caucus has launched a progressive peer-learning programme.
NHRIs, by virtue of their distinct mandate and influence, are uniquely positioned to act connecting the worlds of climate action and human rights. Their participation and advocacy at forums like the Conference of the Parties (COP28) can act as a catalyst, driving forward both climate and human rights agendas.
As the countdown to COP28 begins, it is imperative that NHRIs are well-prepared to contribute effectively. To this end, the upcoming peer-learning session, crafted in strategic partnership with the Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL), is designed to prime NHRIs for their pivotal role at COP.
This event seeks to harness the expertise of CIEL and tap into the collective wisdom of NHRIs who have participated in prior COPs. By sharing experiences and best practices, we aim to provide tools and strategies for NHRIs to make meaningful and long-lasting contributions.
Objective: To provide a platform for National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) to share experiences, challenges, and best practices in the context of the Conference of the Parties (COP) meetings, and to identify strategies and opportunities for greater engagement with States and Civil Society Organizations and impact at the upcoming COP28.
Katharina Rose, GANHRI Geneva representative
Moderator: Katharina Rose, GANHRI Geneva representative
- Lien Vandamme, Senior Campaigner, CIEL “Experiences with NHRIs in previous COPs & Opportunities and challenges for NHRI’s engagement in COP28 and beyond.”
- Benjamin Schachter, Human Rights Officer and the focal point for climate change and the environment at the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) “Reflection on the Role of NHRIs at COPs.”
NHRIs Panel Discussion
Moderator: Michaela Ujházyová, co-convener of GANHRI Caucus on Human Rights and Climate Change
- Experience of the Commission on Human Rights of Philippines
- Experience of the National Human Rights Council of Morocco
Open Debate and Invitation for NHRIs to share Experiences
- Soo-Young Hwang, Legal Officer, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Victor Lansana, Co-convener of GANHRI Caucus on Human Rights and Climate Change