GANHRI and UN partners meet to support national human rights institutions
Supporting and strengthening national human rights institutions (NHRIs) to meet the current human rights challenges, including growing instances of threats and reprisals against them, will be the focus of discussions between GANHRI and its key UN partners.
The Annual Review Meeting of the GANHRI-OHCHR-UNDP TriPartite Partnership (TPP), to be held in New York on 24-25 May 2023, will also involve representatives of the four regional NHRI networks (Africa, NANHRI; Americas, RINDHCA; Asia Pacific, APF; and Europe, ENNHRI). The high level delegation will be led by GANHRI Secretary Amina Bouayach, President of Morocco’s Conseil National des Droits de l’Homme.
The two-day review will discuss strategies to:
- Strengthen collaboration amongst TPP partners and support NHRIs in priority areas, including climate action, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, digitalisation, and capacity assessments;
- Support progress on the UN Secretary-General’s Call to Action on Human Rights, including with UN Country Teams and enhancing UN support to NHRIs;
- Enhance collaboration between NHRIs and the UN system at the global and country levels, including delivering on the Call to Action in the face of increasing reprisals against NHRIs and human rights defenders;
- Set joint and complementary priorities to engage with and support NHRIs in the coming 12-month period.
Public event on NHRIs
TPP partners will co-host a major public event also co-sponsored by Costa Rica, Germany and Norway, examining: ‘Where do we stand halfway to 2030? How national human rights institutions accelerate progress towards the SDGs’.
Held on 25 May 2023 at the UN Headquarters, the event is of key significance as 2023 is the midpoint for implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and marks the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the 30th anniversary of the adoption of the Paris Principles.
Presenters and panelists will :
- Demonstrate the contributions of NHRIs as key actors for sustainable development and human rights;
- Highlight the importance of establishing Paris Principles-compliant NHRIs to support sustainable development;
- Explore opportunities to facilitate and leverage the work of NHRIs;
- Improve awareness of the challenges and risks NHRIs face and the need to strengthen protection mechanisms.
The event will be live-streamed on UN WebTV, with simultaneous interpretation in Arabic, English and Spanish.
On 23 May 2023, ahead of the TPP Annual Review Meeting, GANHRI will convene a Partner Meeting, which will be attended by representatives of GANHRI and all four regional NHRI networks. Following the adoption of GANHRI’s five-year Strategic Plan in March 2023, the meeting will explore opportunities to support GANHRI and the regional NHRI networks implement their respective strategic plans in areas of shared priorities, working in partnership, and collaboration. The meeting is supported by the European Union and funded by the NHRI.EU.3 project.
The TriPartite Partnership to Support National Human Rights Institutions (TPP) was established by GANHRI, UNDP and OHCHR in 2011 to amplify the potential of NHRIs. The TPP harnesses the collective strengths and comparative advantages of each partner and aims to strengthen the capacity of NHRIs to promote and protect human rights by collaborating with regional and global networks. To foster closer collaboration, the TPP Annual Review Meeting involves NHRIs, their regional networks, GANHRI and UN partners. It is a platform to raise awareness of the role of NHRIs to address pressing human rights challenges and discuss joint work on key thematic areas that the TPP can advance.