“The SCA notes that the term of the current Procurador will expire at the end of October 2022. The selection procedure for a new Procurador is ongoing, with the interviews of the candidates by the Legislative Assembly being broadcast.
The SCA reiterates that it is critically important to ensure the formalisation of a clear, transparent and participatory selection and appointment process of the NHRI’s decision-making body in relevant legislation, regulations or binding administrative guidelines, as appropriate. A process that promotes merit-based selection and ensures pluralism is necessary to ensure the independence of, and public confidence in, the senior leadership of an NHRI. Such a process should include requirements to:
- Publicize vacancies broadly;
- Maximize the number of potential candidates from a wide range of societal groups;
- Promote broad consultation and/or participation in the application, screening, selection and appointment process;
- Assess applicants on the basis of pre-determined, objective and publicly available criteria; and
- Select members to serve in their own individual capacity rather than on behalf of the organization they represent.”