2022 Annual Tripartite Partnership Meeting
Protecting environmental human rights defenders and promoting meaningful participation in climate talks – The role of National Human Rights Institutions
2 November 2022, 10:30-13:00 CET I Online on Zoom
This symposium is hosted by GANHRI, in collaboration with the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the United Nations Development Programme-under the framework of the Tripartite Partnership (TPP).
The event will provide a platform for NHRIs to share good practices and experiences on the protection of environmental human rights defenders and provide examples on the role of NHRIs as promoters of human rights-based approach in climate change action.
The event will also focus on discussing meaningful participation of NHRIs and civic society on international and national platforms of climate talks.
The event will be held online on Zoom. Interpretation will be available in Spanish, French and Arabic.
- Maryam Abdullah Al Attiyah, GANHRI Chairperson
- Asako Okai – UN Assistant Secretary-General and Director, United Nations Development Program (UNDP) Crisis Bureau (video presentation)
- Vladlen Stefanov, Chief, National Institutions and Regional Mechanisms Section, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Moderator: Ahmed Adham Abdulla (Co-convenor of GANHRI Caucus on Climate Change)
- Ian Fry, Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights in the context of climate change (video presentation)
- Protecting Environmental Human Rights Defenders – Michel Forst, Aarhus Convention Special Rapporteur on Environmental Defenders
- Seek, obtain, receive, and hold information and financial resources by environmental human rights defenders – Khunan Jargalsaikhan, Chief Commissioner of the National Human Rights Commission of Mongolia
- Promotion of freedom of expression and assembly for environmental human rights defenders – Mounir Bensaleh, Secretary General of the National Human Rights Council of Morocco
12:00–12:50 Session 2 – Meaningful participation of NHRIs and civic society on international and national platforms of climate talks
Moderator: Michaela Ujházyová (Co-convenor of GANHRI Caucus on Climate Change)
- Protection of procedural human rights under international human rights law – Hannah Cecilie Brænden, Advisor for the Norwegian National Human Rights Institution
- Working with the Escazú Agreement – Jorge Hori Fojaco, Director and specialist in environmental rights, National Human Rights Commission of Mexico
- Working with Aarhus Convention – Yves Lador, Earthjustice Representative to the UN in Geneva
Interactive Discussion (20 min)
Arnold Kreilhuber, Deputy Director of Law Division, United Nations Environmental Program