Protecting Internally Displaced Persons: a Handbook for National Human Rights Institutions
9 February – 14:30-16:00 CET I Online event
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in English, French, and Spanish.
National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) are vital to protecting the human rights of the internally displaced. NHRIs monitor the human rights situation of IDPs before and during displacement, as well as their progress towards durable solutions; report on their human rights violations, including discrimination, and investigate individual complaints and conduct inquiries into serious violations of IDPs’ human rights. Additionally, NHRIs work with legislative bodies to develop national and local laws, policies and regulations; conduct campaigns to raise public awareness of IDPs, and work with IDPs.
As a clear reflection of our joint commitment to work together to help NHRIs to fulfil their mandates and stand up for human rights – including those of internally displaced persons – UNHCR, GANHRI, the Special Rapporteur on the human rights of IDPs and UNDP have jointly developed a Handbook for NHRIs presenting key legal and policy standards on this matter; analysing the role and activities of NHRIs in addressing the human rights dimensions of internal displacement; and providing an overview of good practices and lessons learned in this area, to serve as a practical tool for NHRIs and other stakeholders around the world.
This event aims at bringing greater visibility to the role of NHRIs in relation to the issue of internal displacement. It will be an opportunity to:
- familiarise relevant stakeholders with the content of the Handbook;
- share good practices of how the work of NHRIs across the globe can ensure the protection of the rights of IDPs and advance their search for durable solutions;
- present available support that UN partners and NHRI networks can provide in this area.
Moderator – Cecilia Jimenez-Damary, UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights of IDPs
Welcome & Opening Remarks by Co-hosts
- Gillian Triggs, UNHCR Assistant High Commissioner for Protection
- Carlos Ernesto Camargo Assis, GANHRI Chairperson and Ombudsman of Colombia
- Reinna Bermudez, Chief of the Center for Crisis Conflict and Humanitarian Protection of the CHR Philippines
- Nino Lomjaria, the Public Defender of Georgia
- Dah Kouzodon, Commission Nationale des Droits de l’Homme Burkina Faso
- Blanca Izaguirre, Comisionada Nacional de los Derechos Humanos, Honduras Commission for Human Rights
- Andrés Celis, Representative, UNHCR Honduras
Plenary discussion & Concluding remarks
- UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of IDPs, Report on internal displacement and the role of national human rights institutions (2019).
- Guidance on UNHCR’s engagement with national human rights institutions (2020).
- Guidance on Protection Clusters’ engagement with national human rights institutions (2021)
- UNDP-OHCHR Toolkit for Collaboration with National Human Rights Institution (2010).
- Global Alliance of National Human Rights Institutions (GANHRI)